Nepal plane crash caused by pilots accidentally cutting power, report claims

Nepal plane crash caused by pilots accidentally cutting power, report claims

Nepal plane crash caused by pilots accidentally cutting power, report claims

The pilots of the plane that crashed in Nepal, resulting in the deaths of 72 people, including two infants, most likely disconnected the power by accident, according to a report by investigators appointed by the government. The reduction of thrust that occurred as a consequence caused a “aerodynamic halt.”

In the morning of January 15, a flight operated by Yeti Airlines was travelling from Pokhara, a well-known tourist destination, to Kathmandu, the nation’s capital. After thirty years, this is the most fatal plane crash that has occurred in the United States.

The flight that took place on January 15 and involved an ATR 72 was the third sector of the day for the flight crew. It was responsible for conveying passengers from Kathmandu to Pokhara.

The crash of a privately owned aircraft in the Seti river canyon, which was only 1.5 kilometres (0.9 miles) away from the airport, prompted a rescue mission that involved hundreds of Nepalese soldiers.

“The aircraft may have flown for up to 49 seconds before crashing,” said Dipak Prasad Bastola, an aeronautical expert who is a member of the examining commission, according to reports. This occurred as a result of its momentum.

He went on to explain that the pilots had most likely adjusted the power-regulating condition levers to the feathering position rather than the flap lever. It was because of this that the engine “operated at a halt and failed to generate propulsion,” as Mr. Bastola explained it.

The study further asserts that the flight crew’s failure to identify the issue and execute corrective measures resulted in the inadvertent feathering of both engine propellers. Notwithstanding the advisories displayed on the Crew Alerting Panel, this occurred.

Other factors that were highlighted in the report as contributing to the accident include a lack of proper technical and skill-based training, an excessive amount of work and stress, and a failure to comply with standard operating procedures.

Furthermore, it was noted that the aircraft had been subjected to the required maintenance, that there were no problems that could be identified, and that the persons working in the cockpit had satisfied the requirements that were imposed by the Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal.

Over a dozen investigators from three different countries—the United States of America, Canada, France, and Singapore—worked together to carry out the investigation.

After witnessing the aircraft fall from the sky at roughly 11:15 (05:15 GMT), Divya Dhakal, a nearby resident, reported to the sources in January that she had instantly hurried to the accident site after seeing the aircraft tumble from the sky.

She mentioned that by the time she arrived, the accident site had become extremely crowded. Due to safety concerns, the European Union has prohibited Nepalese airlines from using its airspace for the past decade.

Nepal frequently experiences aviation accidents, frequently attributable to its remote runways and abrupt weather fluctuations, which can create perilous conditions. Yeti Airlines-owned Tara Air Flight 197 crashed into a mountainside in May of last year, resulting in the deaths of 22 passengers and personnel.